Have you made up your mind that you are getting a quality memory foam mattress? Congratulations, this is a wise choice as you are choosing one of the most popular and comfortable materials when it comes to mattresses that help you sleep like a baby. So much so that even more traditional mattress manufacturers who produce innerspring mattresses now extend their business line to include this type of mattress.
Nevertheless, there are different elements to consider before deciding on the best memory mattress for you.Luckily, we are here to help you with this mattress buying guide and unbiased reviews for over 40 online mattresses to get insights into all you need to know before buying.
What is a memory foam mattress?
Since it hasn’t been around for that long, it is reasonable to ask yourself this question when you commit to a mattress purchase. In simple terms, it’s manufactured using viscoelastic foam and typically consists of a three-layered design.
The top “comfort layer” is made of special materials which mold to the body shape when it comes in contact with body heat, relieving from any pressure.
The second layer is referred to as the “support layer”. This is more rigid so that the overall shape of the mattress remains the same while it also supports the softer and thinner comfort layer.
Finally, the third layer is the “base layer”. This bottom platform supports the other two layers and most commonly is the thickest and most rigid of all layers.
So, now you are familiar with its structure. How about the materials or components? The answer is found in two core components: a polyurethane memory foam layer and a polyurethane foam core layer. You will notice a kind of fabric is used to wrap these layers and there is also flame-proofing to correspond with federal safety laws.
Are there any health risks?
There is a concern among consumers regarding the memory foam itself and fire-proofing chemicals due to the fear they can off-gas during manufacturing.
The truth is polyols which make the binder/bulk ingredient are petroleum oil based and diisocyanates, the reactive ingredient, react with the polyols and a blowing agent to produce a flexible polyurethane foam.
MDI and TDI are the most common sources used; these are a raw form, can cause dermal sensitization and could be carcinogenic. Between the two, MDI is considered the safest and less toxic choice.
Blowing agents introduce carbon to create the foam and while until recently manufacturers used CFCs, now they prefer water or HFC as a substance.
If you want to make sure you choose the healthiest mattress, keep in mind the following list before shopping.
- Prefer a plant-based foam which emits fewer off gas and VOCs
- Prefer MDI instead of TDI
- Prefer variable pressure foaming which negates the need for chemical blowing agents
- Prefer rayon treated silica and kevlar fabrics used for anti-flammability standards: they are safest
- Ask for testing standards applicable to the mattress
- Keep in mind that high-density foams have more polymers, thus produce stronger odors.
- Prefer US or EU manufactured mattresses since they are made under stricter regulations
Pros and Cons of memory foam mattress
Testing the health benefits of a particular mattress is difficult due to the subjective nature of sleep. Nevertheless, there have been different claims as far as memory foam mattresses and us back this up with our own experience to provide you with the following.
Although there has not been extensive research evidence, it appears that there are certain benefits that come with a memory foam mattress instead of any other type of sleeping surface.
One good example of this being how if you don’t sleep well and toss and turn during sleeping, your partner will be disturbed since he/she will feel every tiny movement from your side. This, on the contrary, is one of the Pros of memory foam since your partner can hardly feel any movement from your side.
If the mattress you sleep on is not well designed, when you lay on it, it provides the same support and bounces back feeling on every part of your body. This is far from the proper way to have a good nap.
The best mattress should be adaptive to your body, to make sure every part of your body gets appropriate support and bounce up.Memory foam is ideal in this respect since it can adapt to your body’s curve.
For example, if you lay on it your hip will sink into it, but your back won’t, while if you sleep by your side, your full body will sink into it, especially your shoulder, and this is why lots of people report memory foam mattress eases their back and shoulder pain.
The memory foam mattresses overall rate at least as well as other mattress types in owner satisfaction. Conforming ability and motion isolation are often well above average. Many highly rated brands/models are under $1,000.
There have been claims that memory foam products may retain body heat, meaning they are less comfortable in warm weather and sleep hot. This has not been backed up by many reviews however it is an issue.
A certain disadvantage already mentioned in this review is how memory foam mattresses produce an odd chemical smell, called off-gassing. You could, of course, try airing out the mattress before putting on the sheets to reduce odors.And most case, it will be gone from several hours to several days(depends on manufacturer)
back to menu ↑
Factors to consider before buying memory foam mattresses
So, you know the pros and cons in relation to other types of sleeping surface. However, what about choosing between different brands of the market?
The following figure suggests you should be careful to seek some characteristics like thickness, layer height, IFD rating, foam type, and density/firmness level.
You must beware of several things when you go on to buy a mattress. Typically, you should take notice of the mattress thickness.
This can range from 7 inches up to 16 inches thick and sometimes even more. Thickness is important to consider for different reasons.
Take for example your type of bed, you may want something relatively thin and flexible for an adjustable bed, or perhaps something tall and thick to raise the height of a low bed.
Keep in mind that as a general rule, the thicker the mattress the more expensive it is and probably has more than the average 3 layers structure.
It could be that it has an extra ventilation layer or an extra comfort layer.
Tip: Just because it is thicker, it doesn’t mean that it is better quality.
Foam type: viscoelastic
Another thing to consider is foam type. First on the scene has been viscoelastic memory foam mattress, which has become the most popular.
Often called as standard, traditional polyurethane or petroleum based, it was invented by NASA and was commercialized originally for bedding purposes.
It is also referred to as Tempurpedic however this is the brand and not the technology.
- Motion isolation
- Silent usage
- Joint aches
- Back pain relief
- Prices can suit any budget
- Toxic off-gassing
- Heat retention
- Slow response time
Foam type: gel-infused
Gel memory foam mattress is the latest addition in the market, introduced in 2011.
We are talking essentially about infusing millions of gel beads in the traditional viscoelastic foam in two forms. The first is to gel infused throughout the top layer of foam and the second is a layer of gel near the surface.
The idea is that the gel will not trap heat similar to its predecessor.
- Sleeps cooler
- Dissipates heat faster
- Minimal motion transfer which allows to move around freely
- Easily available
- Tends to warm up
- Lets off VOCs and odor in the first few days
Foam type: plant-based/natural
A plant-based or namely eco or natural mattress, is quickly becoming a favourite trend amongst consumers.
The plant-based solution is used to replace part of the gel or petroleum-based substances with plant extract as its filling.
Typically, such extracts could include soya, aloe vera, tea or bamboo; each manufacturer will specify what material is being used.
- Far superior when it comes to motion isolation, heat dissipation, joint support, back pain relief, odors, off-gassing, eco-friendliness and health consciousness.
- More expensive than other types of materials
- A struggle to find stock of this product in a retail store
You cannot override the firmness of the foam mattress in order to make a right decision. This is also called molding, which refers to how the mattress firmness reacts to weight and pressure, adjusting to the contours of the body and thus producing an even, comfy, firm, or soft platform.
The lower the density, the more deep, plush and cozy the sinking sensation you will experience.
On the contrary, an increased density means that the mattress will feel more firm and padded. There is no better among the two really, it is only a matter of personal taste which is best.
IFD ratings are also used to identify how soft or firm the foam is. The index ranges from super soft (IFD 10) to semi-rigid (IFD 120). Usually, the most common is an IFD 12 to IFD 16, however this is not easily retrieved in mainstream market.
back to menu ↑
Top 10 best memory foam mattress 2019
|Best value|| ||
|Editor choice|| ||
|Editor choice|| ||
|Best value|| ||
|Editor choice|| ||
|Best seller|| ||
|Best seller|| ||
|Editor choice|| ||
NECTAR Sleep bed
Compared with Leesa or Casper, Nectar has a short history, in fact, it was just recently released, so I guess it could be that most of you never heard of it before. However, you are missing out a lot, and it is definitely worth trying it as I’m sure NECTAR won’t let you down.
We are talking about an 11” high, 4 layers structure gel memory foam mattress.
Amazingly enough, while the industry standard is 10 years warranty and 100 nights free trial, NECTAR mattress provides forever warranty and 365 nights free trial! Are you kidding me? This sounds like a mattress heaven!
And that is not all about its benefits. Nectar has a top layer with 1″ quilted gel foam, a kind of material which is very expensive and hard to produce, so only a few mattress manufacturers use it to deliver the ultimate comfort and cooling for your mattress.
The second layer is 1″ semi-open lush foam, a material most commonly used for medical purposes. NECTAR used this material to increase air flow for gel memory foam to make sure you feel cool all night long, and not just the first few hours when you go to bed.
NECTAR consists of a third layer which is 3″ adaptive Hi Core memory foam. This layer will provide your contouring, so you can get longer and deeper sleep time and quick recovery. And all these while providing enough support so that you won’t sink into it like it is often the case with cheap memory foam.
- World’s only forever warrantied mattress, making it a risk-free choice.
- World’s only 365 nights free trial mattress
- Total of 11″ high, 1 inch thicker than industry standard
- Use of 2 layers of very expensive gel memory foam, probably the coolest memory foam mattress we reviewed
- Provides contouring and just the right amount of support to sleep very comfortably and don’t sink into it.
- Customer service is amazing, they can take away your old mattress for free, and exchange it for mattress cover to last a lifetime for free if you need to clean your mattress.
- Can ship internationally, shipping to US is free.
- Price is very attractive with our $125 OFF coupon(Code: GBM125)
- Bouncy is not as good as latex mattress
If you love wild animals, I guess you will love Nolah, for every mattress sold, they’ll adopt an animal on your behalf (for FREE) through their partnership with Defenders of Wildlife, an American Charity Navigator accredited wildlife charity.
You’ll receive an official adoption certificate for your chosen animal, sent to you by their partner, Defenders of Wildlife. It will arrive separately from the mattress that we’ll ship to you directly from their U.S. factories.
Back to Nolah mattress, this is a 10″, 3 layer structure mattress, same as Leesa mattress we mentioned before, Nolah uses Avena foam as well(but only 1″ ), it will make your mattress more bouncy and provide durability as well.
Different from cheap memory foam mattress companies, they use 2 inches of cool Nolah air foam on top, this cool foam mattress is not temperature sensitive like Memory Foam is, so it sleeps cooler and contours better to your body’s shapes and curves.
Their warranty and free trial is awesome as well, provided 15 year warranty and 120 nights free trial. So this make it very competive among online mattress companies.
- Use special Nolah air foam and avena foam, one of the coolest bed we tested
- Warranty and free trial period both exceed industry standard
- Can provide wild animals at the same time after buying
- Full of bouncy, friendly for sex
- Avena foam layer is thinner than Leesa
- Price not competive
Bear Mattress is engineered to provide optimal cooling and muscle recovery for athletes, and those living an active lifestyle.
Each mattress includes a proprietary blend of technologically advanced memory foam and clinically-proven Celliant™ responsive textile technology.
The combination of premium materials offers athletes a universally comfortable sleep, they claim it is seven times cooler than conventional memory foam,
and is designed to reduce muscle recovery time and improve athletic performance.
So if you are an athlete and want deep sleep and fast recovery, Bear mattress is the tight choice for you.
Bar mattress is 3 layers, 10 inches high memory foam mattress.
The top layer is 1″ layer of Graphite-Gel Infused Memory Foam. As we reviewed before, this layer worked together with the cover which used Celliant technology to bring you cooling sleeping experience all the time.
The middle layer is 2.5″ layer of Quick Response Memory Foam, As we reviewed before, this layer is the key component, it provides superior pressure relief with just a bit of bounce, it worked together with the first layer to give you deep sleep.
The bottom layer is 6.5″ core of breathable support foam, it provides support and durability. Also, the foam is breathable, make sure the heat from your body can release timely. That’s why you’ll never feel hot when sleeping on Bear mattress.
The top is Clinically-Proven Celliant™ Responsive Textile Cove, we also mentioned this before, only Bear mattress uses this technology by now.
- Designed for the athlete, easy to get relax and get the fast recovery.
- Pure memory foam mattress, don’t use latex.
- World’s only clinically-proven Celliant™ responsive textile technology. Provide cool sleeping experience and awesome support.
- More bouncy than common memory foam. Support better, yon won’t sink too much into it.
- Warranty and free trial is just industry standard.
- Price is a not competitive
The Dromma Bed
The Dromma Bed is one of the newest and most advanced beds on the market. The reason I put it in the first place is that you may find a better mattress at this price.It’s definitely one of the best mattresses under $1,000.
This is a 3 layers memory foam mattress, totally 12 inches high.
The top layer is 1.5″of Ventilated, Eco-Friendly Natural Latex Foam.Which provides support & bounce, with micro ventilation holes for increased air circulation.
The second layer is 2.5″ Preserve VG Visco Elastic Cooling Gel Memory Foam. Which helps to keep your bed from overheating, and provides additional contouring for the neck, back, and hip comfort.
The bottom layer is 8” Poly Memory Foam Core. which provide two options, Medium Soft or Medium Firm, you can choose based on your sleep preference and style.
The top latex layer and the second gel memory foam layer worked together, to fix the issue of giving out hot from memory foam, so I think it’s also the coolest mattress in this list.
- 12 inches high, 2 inches higher than industry standard, and the thick mattress can provide more comfortable sleeping experience.
- Totally 200 nights free trial period, also longest in industry, also in this list. the industry standard is 100 nights.
- Warranty is as long as 12 years, 2 years longer than the industry standard.
- Latex and gel memory foam worked together to provide coolest sleeping experience.
- Two firmness scale to pick up, friendly for all sleeping positions, include side sleepers.
- A little odo, but will disappear shortly.
Luxi mattress is the only mattress which can customize its firmness scale even after buying. Someone like the Helix mattress you can customize as well, you can customize based on your weight, height, sleeping position and so on… but that’s just before buying, after buying, you can’t do it anymore, so this is why Luxi mattress is so special.
This is a 10″ hybrid mattress, totally 4 layers structure. with support balance technology and memory foam mattress on top, and latex on the medium layer to worked as transition layer and provide bouncily we need, then based foam layer worked as the support layer and provide durability.
When I first have seen it, I can’t believe my eyes, it provided 1000 nights free trial, I thought it was 100 nights so I can be called back to confirm and got yes. So totally risk-free choice if you haven’t made your decisions yet.
- Designed with 4 layer structure, the industry standard is 3 layers.
- The only mattress who can customize firmness scale any time, even after buying.
- This is a hybrid mattress, you can enjoy the bouncy of latex and contouring of memory foam together
- Highest-quality materials for premium decadence, feel, and sleep experience.
- Price is higher than others.
- Not as comfortable as pure (gel) memory foam bed
Ghostbed was created by Nature’s Sleep, who has been in mattress industry for over 15 years. This is a 3 layers structure mattress. Totally 11 inches high. 1 inch thick than the industry standard.
The top layer is 1.5-inch latex layer, to provide support, comfort and more important bounce back.
The second layer is 2 inches gel memory foam, as we mentioned this kind of foam can provide you cooling feeling when layering on the mattress, it makes full use of the benefit of memory foam and overcomes its shortcomings.Different from other cheap mattresses, this gel layer use high-density memory foam(4 lbs).
The third layer is 7.5 inches high-density foam to provide support and make sure it’s durability.
Different from most other mattresses whose cover is un-removable, the GhostBed features a removable cover made with a blend of quality fabrics, including viscose and polyester, for a plush feel.
The package and shipment follow the industry standard, compressed into a small package and free shipping, but the warranty is another highlight, it’s as long as 20 years, while most others only have 10 years’ warranty.
They have 8 warehouses around the US, so they promise to ship their mattress within 24 hours around the US.
The price is medium, compared with same level innerspring mattress, without doubt, they can save you at least one-half money. But compared with same level online mattress companies, there is not too much price gap, some are more expensive than Ghostbed, while others are cheaper, but not too much gap.
- Compared with common memory foam mattress, it’s more bouncy, more friendly for sex.
- 1 inch thicker than industry standard, that’s why it promise 20 years warranty.
- Neither too firm nor too soft, almost suitable for every kind of sleepers. Good choice for couples with different sleeping behaviors.
- The cover is removable and washable. Most other mattress’s cover is washable.
- Some pure side sleepers complain it’s too firm.
- They increase sales price recently($50 most size)
Leesa is another 3 layers structure memory foam mattress, different from Ghostbed we reviewed before, they don’t use latex as the top layer to increase bouncy, the use their special design foam called Avena foam, which is the combination of memory foam and latex. It provides both comfort and bouncy. The total height of Leesa mattress is 10 inches.
The first later is 2 inches Avena foam, this is special foam designed by Leesa, just a name, don’t pay too much attention to it, it’s designed to overcome the disadvantage of pure memory foam as well. To add air flow, bounce back and prevent sink. And this is the biggest highlight of Leesa mattress.
The second layer is 2 inches memory foam, this layer is to provide comfort and contouring feelings. Because they already have the Avena foam already to keep cool, so they don’t use gel in this layer.
The third layer is 6 inches support foam, this is the common standard of the industry.
This mattress is also neither too firm nor too soft, suitable for almost everyone. Compared with Ghostbed, it’s a little softer, but not too much, if you have interest in his own Avena foam, good chance to have a try.
- Their own special designed Avena foam, to provide you with cooling, bounce back and support.
- For the one who prefer memory foam but not latex.
- Very friendly for the medium guy(130-230 pounds), Very friendly to back sleepers and stomach sleepers.
- Some customer report their back pain no happen anymore after sleeping on Leesa mattress.
- The cover is un-removable.
- Only 10 years warranty and 100 nights free trial.
- Price is not competitive
Another awesome mattress is Zotto. This is a 10 inches memory foam mattress, they don’t use any latex, so if you want a pure memory foam mattress you should give it a try.
Different from others on this list, Zotto is constructed by 4 layers.The additional transition layer delivery a more comfort and bouncy feelings during your sleeping.
Zotto only has 1 firmness scale to pick up, medium. But during my testing, it’s softer than most “medium” product. Some mattress like Tuft&Needle still claims their product is medium, but I would rank them medium firm if compared with Zotto, so if you prefer sleeping with your side, you can’t miss Zotto, just feels sleeping on the cloud, but you won’t sink into it at the same time.
The top layer(2″) is constructed of high-quality memory foam that is copper gel infused. This offers medicinal relief for aches and pains. It also serves as an anti-viral and anti-bacterial agent to promote a higher resistance to illness.
The support layer(2”) is slightly firmer than the comfort layer. It is specifically designed to assist in maximum airflow to dissipate mattress heat while providing support for healthy posture and spine alignment.
This layer(2″) is softer with the feeling of latex, but a little more bounce. Unique construction gives you the movement mobility needed without spreading across the mattress to your sleeping partner. You can freely get in and out of bed without disturbing others. And the Energex™ transition foam can also prevent you sinking in the middle.
The bottom layer(4″) is made of high-density foam that gives the mattress strength and solid integrity for increased longevity.
- One of the coolest mattress with gel memory foam+ cool flow memory foam design
- Very comfortable to sleep on, just like on the cloud.
- Special 4 layers design with the attractive price.
- Softer than most medium feeling mattress, suit for side sleeper
- Not suitable for the one who prefer firm feelings
Evе is a UK mattress company and quickly extends their business to the US recently, this is a medium feeling mattress, very friendly for the back sleeper or the customer with back pain, but not so friendly for side sleeper as Zotto. And it’s the only mattress with bright yellow color, very welcomed by young people and children.
- Tор lауеr (соmfоrt / сооlіng) – A 4 сm (аbоut 1.6″) mеmоrу fоаm lауеr. Mеmоrу fоаm іѕ dеѕіgnеd tо provide great рrеѕѕurе rеlіеf аnd ѕuрроrt.
- Mіddlе lауеr (ѕuрроrt / рrеѕѕurе rеlіеf) – A 3 сm (аbоut 1.3″) lауеr оf роlуurеthаnе fоаm. Thіѕ lауеr hаѕ a lоwеr dеnѕіtу іѕ аblе tо brеаthе bеttеr, іnсrеаѕіng аіr flow аnd hеlріng tо рrеvеnt heat rеtеntіоn іѕѕuеѕ.
- Bоttоm lауеr (fоundаtіоnаl) – An 18 сm (аbоut 7″) high dеnѕіtу ѕuрроrt fоаm bаѕе lауеr. Thіѕ foam lауеr ѕіmрlу асtѕ аѕ a fоundаtіоnаl bаѕе fоr thе mаttrеѕѕ, рrоvіdіng gооd ѕhаре аnd a ѕtrоng hіgh-dеnѕіtу fоundаtіоn.
Thе mаttrеѕѕ іѕ соvеrеd wіth a wаѕhаblе соvеr, which іn itself іѕ tорреd bу a thіn, knіttеd fаbrіс lауеr, рrоvіng a ѕоft surface tо sleep оn, thе еvе mаttrеѕѕ соntаіn роlуurеthаnе lауеr whісh dіѕреrѕе hеаt аnd аllоwіng аіr tо circulate wіthіn thе mаttrеѕѕ.
- Crafted by a team of mattress experts and leading British designers
- The best of luxury memory foam and high resilience foam, giving you comfort, coolness and bounce
- Eve is a proved brand, got big success in UK already
- Very similar with Leesa we reviewed before
- Welcomed by young people(bright color).
- Price is a little high
- Warranty and free trial is just so so
- Mostly welcome in UK but not in US
Saatva is a mattress company who produce luxury innerspring mattress. Their mattress follows the standard of another luxury mattress company Tempur-Pedic, who is almost the most expensive memory foam mattress in the world. But the price is only 1/2 of it.
Different from Saatva, Loom&Lead(we’ll call it L&L next) is designed based on memory foam structure, but not traditional innerspring.
They use a gel on gel +memory foam structure. Different from cheaper price’s mattress, they use high density(5 lb) memory form in their mattress.
The top layer is gel memory foam, this is set up to give you cooling sleeping experience.
The medium layer is 2.5 inches 5 lb visco-elastic memory foam.
The third layer is another gel layer, different from first gel layer, this layer’s main goal is to provide greater air flow and circulation, totally 2 inches high.
The base layer is 5.5 inches high-density foam, although it’s not as thick as Brentwood, who is 7.5 inches. But the density is higher than Brentwood. We can see the total weight of these two mattresses.
Different from most mattresses in this list, L&L has two firmness scale to choose, the relaxed firm model and the firm model, to cover the requirement of different people.
The relaxed firm model is medium to soft feeling, even softer than Leesa.
The firm model is the one who prefer sleeping on the firm but good support mattress.
Their cover is better also, they use breathable, organic cotton covering and natural thistle flame retardant keep you comfortable, cool and safe.
- Very high-density memory foam(5 lb)
- Special gel on gel design, provide a cool, breathable sleeping experience.
- Price is attractive compared with Tempur-Pedic, even it’s higher than most brands.
- Two firmness scale for customer, more freedom when choosing
- Not free shipping.
- Price is almost the highest among this list.
- The cover is un-removable.
- Some consumers report the customer service is just so-so.
- The material they used is not as good as they claimed in official site.
back to menu ↑
To sum up this extensive review, there are many advantages that come with choosing to buy a memory foam mattress.
Of course, it is important to remember important tips such as your personal preferences in relation to things like overall thickness, layer height, IFD rating, plant-based or gel formulation, and density/firmness level.
All of the mattresses mentioned in this list are high quality, healthy, and made in the USA or CA.
We recommend them due to a reasonable price-quality relevance.
Overall, the Layla and Nectar mattresses, are among our top choices and we highly recommend them, based on our own testing as well as consumers’ feedback. You can know more about NECTAR mattress, which provides forever warranty and 365 nights free trial, in our review post and enjoys your $125 coupon(Code: GBM125) we got exclusively from the manufacturer.
Apart from these mattresses, Dromma bed is an all-time favorite of getbestmattress.com in terms of the best balance between cost and the quality you pay for, with very high ratings from customers’ feedback.
Leesa is another much welcomed and with high ratings memory foam mattress. Give Leesa a try if you are looking for a more pure memory foam mattress that is not hybrid or latex though since they use a special Avena foam design.
On the other hand, if you want the flexibility to customize the firmness scale any time, even after buying your mattress. Luxi mattress is the ultimate solution.
The bear mattress is different in that it’s not designed for family use but for athletes, based on the world’s only Celliant™ responsive textile technology, to make sure you get relaxed and immediate recovery.
And finally, as we mention here, we don’t suggest buying Casper, Purple or Saatva if you are not a super fan of their characteristics.