If you are on a budget but still want to get a decent mattress, then IKEA mattresses will come as a good solution, given that they offer very competitive prices for good quality products.
Read below all about it:
What do I need to know about IKEA mattresses?
IKEA is a brand which comes originally from Sweden, yet its mattresses in the USA are produced in North America. Most of these mattresses arrive at your doorstep rolled packed so you can easily transport them.
The following are some of the key characteristics of IKEA Mattresses:
- IKEA creates latex, foam and innerspring type of mattresses.
- They come in different sizes and usually two firmness options; medium firm and firm.
- Foam mattresses are made of polyurethane foam and there are some models which use memory foam.
- Innerspring mattresses manufactured by IKEA are made of individually wrapped pocketed coils.
- IKEA mattresses are mostly considerably less expensive compared to many of their competitors.
- Many of the models designed to be used on one side only.
- There have been complaining that some of the IKEA mattresses are not as durable and resilient as expected, and so it is best advised that you consider buying them when intended mostly for the guest room or children.
- All of IKEA mattresses come with a 25-year warranty, which is one of the best you can get in the industry.
- These mattresses come with 365 days return policy, which is equally amazing to their warranty.
- Shipping is not free of charge for IKEA products, including mattresses.
Let’s compare IKEA Mattresses
|Type||Foam||Memory foam or Latex foam||Spring||Spring||Spring|
|Height||7 1/8”||9.5”||12 5/8”||9 7/8”||11”|
|Layers (besides cover)||High-density polyurethane + standard polyurethane||1st version
Polyurethane memory foam +
High-resilience polyurethane foam + Polyurethane foam
Latex foam + High-resilience polyurethane foam + Polyurethane foam
|High-density polyurethane + standard polyurethane + individually wrapped pocketed coils||Polyurethane foam + individually wrapped pocketed coils||High-density polyurethane + standard polyurethane + individually wrapped pocketed coils|
|Cover||Cotton (64%) and polyester (36%)||Cotton (64%) and polyester (36%)||Cotton (64%) and polyester (36%)||Cotton (64%) and polyester (36%)||Cotton (64%) and polyester (36%)|
|Firmness||Medium Firm or Firm||Firm||Medium Firm or Firm||Medium Firm or Firm||Medium Firm or Firm|
|Price (Queen)||Check price||Check price||Check price||Check price||Check price|
The detailed review of IKEA models
Overview: The Morgedal is a popular choice among IKEA mattresses, featuring a comfortable and cool sleeping surface. It make a great option for the guestroom or your children’s bed.
This mattress is about 7” thick and consists of a combination of high density polyurethane foam and standard polyurethane foam. Its viscose rayon fiber for the lining contributes to a more comfortable sleep.
The cover in Morgedal, similar to all of the IKEA mattresses is made of cotton (64%) and polyester (36%) which offers a cool and breathable surface. The cover features a zipper and is removable and washable.
It has been claimed that this is a very firm mattress, whether you choose medium firm or firm as an option. In this sense, it is mostly suited for back sleepers.
Due to the low thickness, we think its best recommended for use in a guestroom or a children’s room. In this way, the mattress won’t become saggy easily and will support the sleeper efficiently.
One thing you don’t need to worry is sleeping undisturbed with this mattress. It has a great motion isolation feature, so you don’t have to worry about disturbing your partner.
Overall, a very cost-efficient option with decent value.
- High resilience foam provides plenty of support and pressure relief
- No sinkage with this mattress
- Perfect for back sleepers
- Offers a quite comfortable sleep
- You can sleep undisturbed as it promotes little motion transfer
- Removable and machine washable cover
- A low-cost choice
- Perhaps you want to get a protective mattress cover as the cover is too thin
- Not ideal for everyday use
- Doesn’t feature premium materials
- Extremely firm
- Cannot support overweight sleepers adequately
Overview: This all foam mattress is 9.5” and will make a great choice for sleepers who enjoy the memory foam feel of comfort and hugging at a reasonable price.
The Myrbacka mattress featured here is the version made with all foam. There is also another option with foam and latex.
This all foam 9.5” thick mattress is made of memory foam, high-resilience polyurethane foam and polyurethane foam. The thick layer of memory foam contours perfectly to the natural curves of your body, whereas it offers enough pressure relief for sensitive areas such as the neck, shoulder and hips.
The high resilience foam will offer plenty of support overall while the different foam layers all together provide comfort zones which will enhance your sleeping experience for a restful sleep. The mattress comes with another layer of soft filling for added comfort and support.
The cover is made of a cotton and polyester combination, so it sleeps quite cool. It is conveniently removable thanks to its zipper, so you can take it off and machine wash it. It also features a lamb wool filling which is soft but most importantly helps to regulate temperature. So, no worries about sleeping cool with this mattress.
In addition, it seems that the Myrbacka exhibits minimal motion transfer, so you can prefer it if you are a couple and sleep with a partner who usually tosses and turns.
All things considered, this is a great mattress for a reasonable price, if you fancy the memory foam feel and contouring effect.
- Memory foam used alongside polyurethane makes for a good contour and hugging
- Enhanced comfort zones
- Removable and washable cover
- Good pressure relief
- Medium softness
- Best for people who sleep on their back or stomach
- Great motion isolation
- Lamb wool filling for a soft and cool temperature
- Lacks a bit of bounce compared with latex foam
- Single firmness option
Overview: This spring mattress is almost 13” thick, which exceeds the usual industry standards. It makes for a comfortable and durable mattress, at a reasonable price tag.
The mattress comes with double layers of individually wrapped pocketed coils (mini and regula size coils, 594 each for a Queen size) so it conforms perfectly to your body, supports you efficiently and doesn’t allow any motion transfer.
The 594 mini pocket springs, are the ones who can substantially contour to the natural body curves for both comfort and support.
You will sense the enhanced comfort offered with the top foam layer which balances the feel as well as the soft filling used on top of the mattress. Plus, the stretch fabric further adds a layer of comfort, while it is quite resilient.
The high resilience foam used enables for plenty of pressure relief of sensitive body parts, improves blood circulation and offers an overall restful experience.
Overall, this is a great mattress at a reasonable price, which can deliver big.
- Sleeps quite cool
- Comes with a good 12 5/8”thickness so it’s durable
- Best for back and stomach sleepers
- The mattress offers medium softness
- Great if you tend to toss and turn as it comes with minimal motion transfer feature
- Balanced comfort and support
- Great body contouring thanks to the mini pocketed coils
- No flip, which means it puts extra pressure on the fabric
- Perhaps not as supportive as expected
- Needs a slatted bed base or a mattress base
Overview: Haugesund Mattress is a good enough choice if you are looking for a decent mattress that doesn’t cost much and still offers plenty of comfort.
This mattress is about 10” thick and consists of polyurethane foam and pocketed springs. It makes the ideal solution for average, petite sleepers or children, as it is not as durable and resilient. However, if you fall into one of the categories mentioned above, you should consider it.
It is considerably cheaper compared to similar products of other competitors on the market.
Its enhanced plush support will make it a great option for back and stomach sleepers. In addition, this mattress comes with soft filling to guarantee added comfort.
The cotton and polyester cover combination, together with the springs make for a breathable and cool sleeping surface. So, it is great if you tend to sleep hot.
Thanks to the 594 pocketed individually wrapped coils (Queen size), this mattress does a great job dealing with motion isolation, so you don’t have to worry about disturbing your partner if you toss and turn while you sleep.
Overall, a good choice if you are on a limited budget and a lightweight sleeper or want this mattress for your child.
- Pocket springs and soft filling ensure comfort
- Makes a good choice for back and stomach sleepers
- Will give a plush feel which lasts
- Substantially supports your body
- Sleeps quite cool
- There is minimal motion transfer
- It is very affordable
- Soft filling contours to the body
- Not ideal for everyday systematic use
- One sided so not as resilient
- Considered too firm by some consumers
Overview: This 11” spring mattress features pocketed coils and comes with a soft layer on top for added comfort, making it a great choice for back and stomach sleepers.
This mattress exceeds the usual standards of thickness set by IKEA. It features an 11 inches thick construction made of a combination of high density polyurethane foam, standard polyurethane and 594 individually wrapped pocketed coils for the Queen size.
The individually wrapped pocketed coils contribute to an undisturbed sleep as there is minimal motion transfer and so your partner doesn’t sense any tossing or turning by you.
The high resilience foam offers plenty of pressure relief and helps improve blood circulation, so it enables you to enjoy a restful and healthy sleep. The enhanced soft filling further contributes to a comfortable sleeping surface.
The stretch fabric used on top of the mattress enables a more comfortable sleep, while it is quite resilient.
This mattress will arrive in a box style rolled and compressed, so it is easy to carry around.
- Both high resilience polyurethane foam and coils make for a sturdy build
- Great motion isolation
- Medium softness good for back and stomach sleepers
- Better thickness than most IKEA mattresses: 11”
- Stretch fabric on top and soft fillings provide enhanced comfort
- Sleeps quite cool
- Cannot flip it so it might not leave the best pressure relief
- Perhaps a bit too firm
back to menu ↑
Obviously, like most things, buying a mattress comes down to personal preference. However, there are generally some well-regarded mattress brands which you can trust, based on consumers’ reviews.
IKEA is one among a few companies worldwide which promise and deliver good quality products at relatively cheap prices. This includes their mattresses which are thought to be affordable and even if they are not as durable and resilient as other well-known mattress brands out there, still offer very good comfort and support.
Choosing a mattress from the IKEA line-up is therefore definitely not a bad choice if you are on a tight budget and want a mattress which can offer plenty of comforts, without costing a fortune. It makes a great choice especially if you are lightweight or average weight, and for some models like Morgedal and Haugesund Mattress, it is best advised to use these mattresses only in the guest room or for your children.
Obviously, their offerings are not the best mattresses on the market, however, they can still perform really well, as long as you pay attention to the specifications and reviews on what to look out for.
If you found this article of value, do consider sharing with your peers or family.